How to get a work permit for Australia

Australia, as a Commonwealth country, offers several different types of visas for skilled workers. It’s possible that some of these visas will allow you and your family to settle there permanently or temporarily.

Employment Permits and Visas

Australia gives work permits and visas based on employment to different types of skilled workers who want to move there for work-related reasons. Here is a list of some of the work visas for skilled professionals.

The Various Categories of Australian Work Visas:

  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa—allows talented professionals nominated by their employers to live and work in the country permanently.
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visas allow regional Australian employers to sponsor qualified workers for permanent residency.
  • Skilled independent visa for invited workers and skilled New Zealanders Australia must reside and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
  • Skilled Nominated visa—permanent residency in Australia for nominated skilled professionals.
  • Temporary Skill Shortage visa—allows an employer to sponsor a skilled worker when an Australian is unavailable.
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa for skilled people wanting to live and work in regional Australia.
  • Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa—allows short-term, highly-specialized work in the country.
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa—temporary work visa to develop Australia’s international relations.
  • Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 858 for Australian applicants or 124 for international applicants) — permanent visa for those with a globally recognized record of remarkable performance in a profession, sport, the arts, or academics and research.


A work visa can be obtained for the following occupations:

  • qualified individuals
  • Individuals Taking Part In Certain Events
  • experts in their fields
  • Temp workers in training
  • Competent business professionals
  • investors


Needs for an Australian Work Visa

The things you need to do depend on your situation and the type of visa you want.

Here are the different rules for each category:

Visa Under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) (Direct Entry Stream)

The ENS Visa requires the following:

  • qualify for the position since they possess the relevant abilities (skills assessment will be required, with some exemptions).
  • be included on the appropriate list of qualified vocations.
  • have an Australian employer put you forward.
  • comply with character and health checks (information on Australia’s medical test is provided below).
  • have a command of the English language at the Proficient level.
  • possess a minimum of three years’ professional experience in the field.
  • to be younger than 45 (with some exemptions).
  • read or have been explained the Life in Australia booklet, and sign the Australian Values Statement.


Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Visa (Direct Entry Stream)

You need to fulfill the following conditions to apply for an RSMS Visa:

  • be nominated by a regional Australian employer.
  • under 45 age.
  • be a skilled occupation.
  • proficient in English.
  • have three years of related job experience.
  • have job-related skills (skills assessment will be required, with some exemptions).
  • accept a two-year contract with your nominating employer in regional Australia.
  • meet health and moral standards.
  • read and sign the Australian Values Statement.


Technically Independent Skilled Worker Visa

To those being invited to work:

  • be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency and encouraged to submit an expression of interest (EOI).
  • under 45 age.
  • be a skilled occupation.
  • have job-related skills (skills assessment will be required, with some exemptions).
  • pass Australia’s immigration point system with 65 points or more.
  • proficient in English.
  • meet health and moral standards.
  • read and sign the Australian Values Statement.


Costs of an Australia Work Visa

It will cost you 4,045 AUD (2,955 USD) for any of the aforementioned work visas with the following exceptions:

  • Prices for Temporary Skill Shortage Visas range from $1.265 AUD ($925 USD) for the Short-Term Stream to $2.645 AUD ($1,925 USD) for the Medium-Term Stream.
  • Fee for a Regional (Provisional) Skilled Visa (Extended Stay Pathway) is $360 AUD (265 USD)
  • The standard processing fee for a temporary work visa is 310 Australian dollars (about 225 US dollars).
  • The cost of a Distinguished Talent Visa in Australia is $4,110. (3,000 USD)


Form for applying for a work visa in Australia

Most visas can be applied for through the ImmiAccount service on the Department of Home Affairs website of the Australian government. If you need a formal invitation to apply for your visa, you can use SkillSelect to send an expression of interest.