According to a recent survey, Canada will be short of 48,000 long-distance drivers by 2024. This is great news for truck drivers as it will allow people looking to relocate to Canada to take up this type of job. Then. Additionally, there are still many job opportunities and high demand for long-distance drivers in Canada’s transportation industry. The Canadian government also supports all of these changes. They issue work visas to foreign workers who are eligible and wish to work as truck drivers in Canada.
Truck Driver Job Requirements in Canada (With Visa Sponsorship)
Let’s take a look at the prerequisites for getting a truck driver job in Canada. This will help you know what’s required to get a visa sponsorship truck driver job being a foreigner in Canada. They include the following:
- Truck driver jobs in Canada include permanent, full-time, overtime, weekend, day, night, and evening works.
- A secondary school diploma is preferred but not essential for this position.
Heavy-duty driving expertise is a plus, but it is not essential.
- The ability to communicate in basic or functional English is necessary.
- Certificates, Licenses, memberships, courses, and other credentials will be required for this job.
- A valid driver’s license (Class 1 or A) is necessary, as well as the Air Brake (Z) Endorsement.
- Trucking and Equipment Types: Tractor-trailer, Flatbed, Refrigerated, Highway, Straight truck (4,600kg+ or 10,000lbs+ with 3+ axles).
- Safety and Security: Basic security clearance, criminal background check, driving record check (abstract), medical examination, and drug test are all required.
- Information about transportation and travel: Willing to travel throughout Canada and the United States. Willing to travel during the day, evening, or night, including overnight routes, and willing to travel for long periods of time.
- Other: Candidates must be legally permitted to work in Canada and willing to operate in a two-person team to drive long-haul trucks.
Below are the most important information and application you need before relocating to Canada.
- Ability to operate and drive straight or articulated trucks for the transportation of products and supplies.
- Cargo loading and unloading, tarping, and guaranteeing cargo safety and security
- Ability to plan your trip routes and schedules.
- You should have the ability to use atlases and other planning tools to help you plan your journey.
- Receive information and relay it to the central dispatcher.
- The ability to drive in a convoy or as part of a two-person squad.
- You should also be able to examine the vehicle’s condition and inspect the tires, lights, brakes, cold storage, and other equipment.
Top Provincial Programs in Canada for Truck Driver Jobs
Here is the rundown of the leading programs to find a truck driver job with visa sponsorship in Canada:
British Columbia is a provincial program for truck drivers in Canada is A full-time job offer in long-haul trucking is the gold standard for candidates in British Columbia’s entry-level and semi-skilled category, which has over 400 positions on the job bank. Long-haul drivers can live in the province permanently. Learn more about immigration in British Columbia by visiting their website at https://www.immigration.ca/british-columbia-immigration/.
With 837 job adverts now available, Quebec leads the way in terms of provincial opportunities for truck drivers. According to information on the Quebec government’s employment website, truck driver employment prospects are ‘excellent’ with their platform. Access Quebec website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/quebecimmigrationprovincial.html.
In July 2019, the NOC code for transport truck drivers (7511) was added to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream, along with three other occupations. It means that experienced truck drivers who have a work offer in Ontario can follow a defined path to permanent residence in Canada. Learn more about immigration at https://www.immigration.ca/en/ontario-immigration.html.
Long-haul truckers are another in-demand profession under the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program, with over 500 job openings on the employment bank. Both the Alberta Opportunity Stream and Alberta Express Entry are open to truck drivers.
Employers wishing to hire truck drivers in Manitoba should use the federal Labour Market Impact Assessment for Temporary Foreign Workers process. The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program only allows businesses to hire outside of the LMIA procedure provided certain criteria are met, such as recruitment efforts and compliance with provincial labor laws. Visit the Manitoba immigration website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/manitoba-immigration.html to discover more.
Newfoundland and Labrador
It is a province in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The Newfoundland and Labrador 2025 Job Market Outlook highlights that truck driving is an occupation that will require significant immigration to fill vacancies. For the NLPNP Skilled Worker and Express Entry categories, trucking companies must submit an application for accreditation as an employer.
For those who already have a work permit to work in Canada, Saskatchewan’s immigration service has a separate subcategory for long-distance drivers. The major is also qualified for the provincial Express Entry and Shortage job categories, each specific to certain jobs.
Cargo truck driver (NOC 7511) is one of two targeted occupations within the in-demand occupation of Nova Scotia’s nominee program. This provides drivers with a clear path to permanent residency. Through this program, you can hope to get a visa-guaranteed job as a truck driver in Canada.
Truck driver salary in Canada
Hourly wages for truck drivers are now competitive with the national and regional averages. According to the Employment Bank of Canada and Statistics Canada, the median wage for truck drivers is slightly below the national average, but in some cases can be more than $8 above the average, to a maximum of $32 an hour. Canadian dollar. As expected, truck drivers’ wages are expected to rise as demand in the labor market increases over the next few years.
If you’re contemplating a truck driver job with visa sponsorship in Canada for foreigners, then you were on the right page. This article highlighted these opportunities and the various programs offering them.